Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hats Off to Faded Glory™

My Help Meet decided that I needed some new jeans for the job. (Walking around cow pastures, through the woods, and into manufacturing plants does not require formal work wear, unless it is "farmer formal".) Last week she bought me two pairs of Faded Glory™ brand jeans at WallyWorld. As I was exploring them, I noticed that the watch pocket seemed larger than normal. Sure enough, the watch pockets on those two pair had been enlarged to enable storing a cell phone.

Imagine that! The whole purpose of that little bitty pocket was to enable the working gent to keep his pocket watch there without having the fob catch on things as he worked. (What! You thought it was for storage of your spare pennies? How droll!) The modern gentleman laborer no longer carries a fancy pocket watch (unless he is an ostentatious fop himself), and instead packs a cell phone which not only lets the government know where he is, at all times, to within a few yards, but also allows instantaneous world-wide communication, functions as a calculator and timepiece with stopwatch, and even (except for rare exceptions now) allows him to photograph or video record events (which can be broadcast world-wide as well).

Most clothing manufacturers seem to still be in the Dark Ages of the early 20th Century with respect to design, but not Faded Glory™. They have incorporated the modern equivalent of the gentleman's watch pocket in their bluejean design. Or at least I hope it was a conscious decision. Since I have at this moment only two specimens from which to draw my conclusions, I could be wrong. Nevertheless, I salute the Faded Glory™ Jeans Company for their Intelligent Design, which furthers the evolution of the blue jean in America.

If they were really intelligent, they would use this blog post as an advertisement, and pay me a royalty -- because this post is copyrighted by me under current US law -- like all the other Sayings of Grandpa Jim (©2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment