Friday, July 24, 2009

They Are Back

I haven't seen much of our local deer since spring. Then, while in the garden this evening, ...



A loner. Probably a buck. Season doesn't open until 9-26. I'm gonna need a crossbow for this job.

While I wish I could use the SMLE, it scares me. Houses behind the garden. I'm not too worried about a miss; its just that a deer isn't too "thick". Even a soft-point coming out the other side could be dangerous, and the black bear was "thick" and still had a decent exit hole. And I remember Chuck's rabbit. The one that was hiding behind the telephone pole, with just a fringe of hair sticking up. And the shot that went through the telephone pole and turned him into a yard wide hasenpfeffer. Even if that was a full metal jacket round. Old Smiley has a lot of oomph.

Gotta get a crossbow. And I have to fix the shed loft so it makes a comfy blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment