Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Killer on the Loose

While working on the mower gas tank, some of those pesky yellow jackets buzzed me and not liking them anyway (they are terrible enemies of honeybees) I decided to take a little break and get even. I cobbled together a yellow jacket trap.

The first step was gathering the material. An empty fruit juice bottle and some scrap 3/4" plastic pipe.

The bottle measured about 4-1/4" across.

I figured to cut the pipe about 1/2" longer. In retrospect, I should have made it about 1" longer, but that will show up later.

A 3/8" hole was drilled through one side at the center.

A Sharpie can be a tinker's best friend. Never leave {your} home without one. The holes through the bottle should be marked on both sides.

Just like you learned in kindergarten, stay inside the lines. I have cut these too big in the past and ended up sealing them with hot-melt glue.

Pushing the pipe through the holes (nice, tight fit here), I discover that I should have allowed some extra length on the pipe because the plastic bottle sides flex liberally. I cut some narrow strips of duct tape and wrapped the ends of the pipe to make them big enough to keep them from sliding into the bottle.

Now for some 1/16" vent holes. We need to allow the scent from the lure to get out. Note the duct tape wrapped around the tube ends. In retrospect, I think it would be smarter to put the vent holes just above the pipe; the yellow jackets spend too much time flying around the vent holes when they could be busy dying.

I had some old yellow jacket lure from a while back. It would be applied to a chunk of cotton cloth (old t-shirt) and hung inside the bottle with fishing line.

All set up and ready to go. Next to it is a trap Jesse gave me. He recommended using grape Kool-Aid as a lure. For some reason, I think that might be more effective than the commercial lure.

Yup. it works. I think a "whiff of grape" might be better. Maybe I'll try some grape pop.

1 comment: