Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Auld Lang Syne

T'other day I received an email from Joe Harrison stating that the date of the CG Reunion had been changed to August 15, and querying if I could make that date. While I had plans already for later in the day, I quickly made sure I could spend a few hours with the old guys.

Maybe I should start near the beginning. There are times when it makes sense to go through a wallet and remove stuff that really no longer needs to be there. Such an item is my draft card. It has been over 26 years since I was legally required to carry it, so it is time it went into the drawer with a lot of other old stuff.



One of the things that people who haven't seen me since high school notice is that I am no longer 5 feet 8 inches tall and 120 pounds. In fact, if they remember me at all, it is as the kid who was only 5 feet 2 and wrestled at 98 pounds in his junior year. The draft registration card shows that I was still in the growth spurt, and, in fact, when I started my sophomore year at Akron U, the ROTC Department had to reissue my dress greens because I had grown out of the set they had issued the year before.

The 1-H classification was issued after I notified the board that I had gotten married. Viet Nam was winding down, and they were not likely to bother me again.

When I registered, in 1965, I was given a 2-S deferment. ROTC was mandatory for male students at Akron U then, and I simply took what they stuck me in, which was Army ROTC. Just after the Spring 1966 semester began, I was on campus one Saturday and ran into a bunch of guys in fatigues, doing PT in the snow and drill with real M-1s. One thing led to another and I ended up in the Counterguerilla Unit. When Spring Break came, instead of going to Florida, I found myself in the woods eating Tom Hastler's cooking.


Carefull!! That is a 23 meg + .pdf !!


Of course, some 43 years later, we all look a bit different :



So we sat around swapping condensed versions of our life stories since graduation. Eddie treated us to a demonstration of the fact that he still knew how to field strip and reassemble an M-1. Not quite 8 seconds any more. Not quite. He did avoid "M-1 thumb", though.

Was ROTC useful? I think so. Cadets were taught to say "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir", and that only a woman would wear a hat inside a building. They were taught to polish their shoes and tie their ties. They were taught the difference between their left foot and their right foot, and how to walk with other people without tangling up their legs. These are all useful skills for college graduates (or even high school graduates -- Eddie teaches ROTC at Garfield High in Akron) and it is amazing how many people complete a college degree without knowledge of such simple civilizing graces. The jungle always encroaches when civilization retreats.

7 comments:

  1. For someone who gets so paranoid about the availability of personal information, posting your draft registration on your blog is somewhat perplexing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of funny. I'm one of the few guys my age that even knows where their card is, right behind that drivers license.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Date and place of birth is not all that private a matter, Voxxie. As for the rest of those numbers, the card was good in its day for buying 3.2 beer and not much else. I haven't seen 3.2 beer in a long time -- not that I would want to buy any now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In total disbelief that you would STILL have such a thing in your wallet. Mine is somewhere in a file in the basement. I think... The less in the wallet, the better. -hp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snort. Better check the fine print. Unless the liberal weenie Carter's new SS system changed the wording, the law still requires you carry it on your person at all times (see the backside of the registration?). Until age 35. Be ye a scofflaw, HP? You may be needed for the non-military civilian army of the current occupant of the White House some day.

    BTW -- on registration I was classified 2-S, then 1-A after I dropped out of school following my year-long unsuccessful battle with the Army to get into Advanced ROTC, which changed to 1-Y after I failed the draft physical, and then 1-H. The 1-Y classification was done away with the same month I was married, and they just didn't need any more cannon fodder at that point.

    ReplyDelete