Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Spud Investment

This Wooly Bear thinks it might be a hard winter. Gotta store up some 'taters. Went to Aldi and bought a 10 pound bag of russets (gen-yew-wine Ider-hoes, according to the label) for $2.99. Made sure they had cute little eyes that looked like they could sprout if given some dark moisture.

Cut them up, with at least one eye per chunk.

Stuck them into the row, about 6" - 8" apart. Roughly half the bag planted two rows about 30 feet long each. This is a new bed, special for spuds this year. We'll see how they do.

This is also a new bed, with the broccoli and cabbage plants.

The garden planted itself the other day; a row of Blue Lake bush beans, two rows of wax peppers, a row of Rutgers, double row of onions, half row of jalapenos and half row of banana peppers, row of beets, row of Roma tomatoes, row of parsnip and rooted parsley. Still have to stick in the cucumbers and carrots. I think the blueberry patch will be a good spot for a few hills of Charleston Grey watermelons, and I need to locate some spots for the bush butternut squash and the Big Max pumpkins.

The strawberry beds are looking pretty. Almost all the grape cuttings appear to be rooting. Maria said hers failed to root. These will have to go to new homes come the fall.

And ... my new pegboards are up in the garage, and the baseboard is done in the downstairs bedroom and dining room.

3 comments:

  1. Hello I am writing you from Serbia, my grandfather was Samuel Miklovic from Glozan or Hlozany on Slovak . I am searching form some relatives in Canada , my grandfather was tailor like his two brothers Jano and Emil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am writing you this from Ashland. I am Hansen, and I have some German in my veins. Once upon a time my grandfather was a very rich man in Yugoslavia. I am married to a fine gardener, I hear she comes from good stock. Anyhow, I think she would bet her babushka that you better cover them plants to keep the vermin out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Hansen, that is poetic. German and vermin. Yuk, yuk, yuk! I will pray for you that you are cured soon, since it is dangerous to have anything aside from blood in your veins.

    At least Jaroslav signed on to follow this blog. Seems to me like a well-mannered fellow.

    Welcome, Jaroslav.

    ReplyDelete