Sunday, March 20, 2016

On Being A Pot Person

Well, occasionally I have to stick some kind of title in that will get noticed by the web crawlers and draw attention to this site. I would have used "pothead", but that might have drawn WAY too much attention...

Thursday I started potting the Rutgers seedlings. Out of the 103 seeds planted, I potted 99 plants. I discarded 3 as being too small yet to transplant, so that is close enough to 100% germination for me. Yesterday I went to work on the wax peppers; at this point I have 137 pots and there are still 24 nice healthy ones left to transplant with about 6 or so still struggling; say 167 out of 187 seeds and I actually discarded at least a dozen for one reason or another. Ran out of dirt so I had to quit until tomorrow. Then it will be on to the jalapenos.

Not only am I out of dirt, I am out of room and this is going to be a problem. There are at least 100 jalapenos, likely more, and the Abe Lincoln tomatoes, Delicious tomatoes, and the sweet basil are popping through. The Yummy peppers are still not appearing. I figure maybe another 200 pots to go, but I really did want to do some flowers this years as well. This could be a SERIOUS problem.

Chard is up in the greenhouse along with the romaine lettuce. Can't put the tomato and pepper seedlings out there, though -- too cold. Keim Lumber is delivering my material for the new asparagus beds either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Got to musing about the Peter Principle. Once a person has risen to his level of incompetence, what are his options? A new career, starting at the bottom? Longevity seems to be a factor in our family; Dad lived to 91, Mom is 91, Uncle Joe is fixing to be 95 next month -- is it unreasonable for me to have a mid-life crisis at 68? When you have forgotten more than you currently know, is that a sign that reprogramming is in order? I think I'll sleep on that one. If it doesn't keep me awake half the night thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment