Friday, November 09, 2007

Bugs in the Oatmeal

Yesterday we found little weevilly things crawling around in the oatmeal. They did not taste any different from the oatmeal. When they were cooked, they were hard to find -- but you could find them, and we dug some of them out and lined the edges of our bowls with them. But I quit looking for them, because it was just too much bother, and went ahead and ate them.

Maria has been blogging about oysters and how they resemble boogers. S'not much difference in the way they look or feel. Me, I'm not an oyster eater (why does the word oyster seem to connect itself to the word mountain?) or I would have clammed up about the subject.

I did read an interesting SF piece that had people eating bugs as big as cows (part of Planets of Adventure) and I started wondering about toasted grasshoppers and such but I really do prefer a nice steak. Or a broiled chicken breast. This idea of eating an invertebrate, guts and all, pales in comparison. It could bring up other items as well, if you did not have enough chili peppers to buffer the contents of your stomach.

Warped thought for the day : the love of oatmeal is the root of all weevil.

3 comments: