Friday, October 26, 2007

Modernizing, one step at a time

Well, all the fluorescent lights are mounted on the garage ceiling, shelving has eliminated some of the floor clutter, and I am now in a position to begin reusing my garage as a shop. Jesse found the problem with the door opener outlet, and the garage overhead door is usable again after almost a ten year break.

Wonder of wonders, Grandma has gotten a Google account and started commenting on blogs. She has also started looking at her email (she might even keep it up), and seems to be finding using the iBook via Airport interesting. So, kiddies, keep posting interesting things that draw her back to your blogs!

So ... what has been happening?

I picked the jonathans and golden delicious apples
and the romes
and I should have kept spraying on into September, since the fruit was somehow delayed in its ripening. Not enough global warming, maybe?
Picked the seyval grapes (biggest crop I've ever gotten off that single vine, thanks to spraying and killing yellow jackets)
and stemmed them. They were still somewhat sour, though -- maybe not ripe enough.
Then I squished them.
Since there was more than a gallon of juice, I had to make another fermentation lock. Knowing how to repair toilets is a good starting point for amateur winemaking...

After they worked for about a month, I stuck the jugs in the freezer, and after a few hours poured off whatever hadn't frozen.
Wonder of wonders, it is still working. It is potent stuff, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment